Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Maple Cupcakes with Brown Butter Glaze


After my chocolate overload with the devil’s food cupcakes and chocolate ganache frosting, my ‘taste-testers’ asked for something less chocolatey. They are men! And I guess not big fans of chocolate. I decided to go in a different direction and tried out a recipe of a brown-sugar pound cake with brown butter glaze.

I love brown butter. I love cooking it and the smell and the taste. Everything! I would put brown butter in every dessert if I could. Mwuahahaha! I first discovered the amazing taste of brown butter when I made brown butter spoon cookies for a bunch of friends one day  (found here). Hook, line and sinker. The nutty aroma of browning butter is to die for and combine it in a sweet treat, and you’ve got a drool-worthy dessert!  So when I saw the recipe for brown butter glaze, I was excited to try this out.

The recipe was quick and easy, as Martha’s cupcake recipes are. On a whim, I poured an extra tablespoon and a half of maple syrup into my pound cupcake batter. Instant heaven. The cupcakes came out beautifully yellow and moist with a very sweet, yummy scent of maple syrup.

The frosting was pretty easy to put together: browned butter and sugar mixed together. As typical with the frostings I’ve been making, it was a bit soupy at first. I knew I wouldn’t be able to put it into a decorating bag but it IS glaze and not frosting, technically. I let it sit and it got stiffer upon sitting. Stirring it up made it a little more pliable if it became too stiff from sitting. I just used a spatula and spread the glaze onto the cupcakes generously. Yum!

My taste-testers declared that this was their favourite cupcake yet! And frankly, it was my favourite too. I ate way too many!

All the recipes I use can be found in Martha Stewart's "Cupcakes" book, or on her website: Brown Sugar Pound Cupcake.




No comments:

Post a Comment