Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pancake Day pancakes

As today is Strove Tuesday, AKA Pancake Day, I decided to deviate from my usual cupcake baking and make some pancakes instead. Honestly, I had never made home-made pancakes before, so this was a first for me. For a long time, I wasn’t even a big fan of pancakes (mostly due to the fact that I can’t handle the stickiness that came with maple syrup. And who has pancakes without maple syrup!? Heresy!) But I rekindled my love of maple syrup – we kissed and made up – with some delicious maple cookies I made for a few friends, and a very delicious cupcake that I haven’t posted about yet (brown butter glazed frosting and maple cupcakes – it’s coming up next! )

I found my pancake recipe on allrecipes.com. I wasn’t sure what to choose from the plethora of pancake recipes, they seemed all pretty similar, so I chose the top-rated one and went with it. I threw the ingredients together in three minutes and set up my frying pan. I also added a little bit of vanilla for some extra sweetness.
The frying bit was the big part. I wasn’t good with flipping things in skillets. They usually broke apart or flew everywhere. Or both. Omlettes and I don’t get along other than the fact that I love them a lot, but because I can’t flip them without them getting everywhere and then I get angry at them. I just end up with a pile of scrambled eggs and all the veggies and cheese flung everywhere on the plate.

The  first one I poured on, naturally, broke into a bunch of pieces. I had flipped it too soon. But I browned all the little pieces and took them out and ate them right there. Mmm, good!! The second one came out pretty good, though, as I knew what I was looking for this time. The third one got burnt (I was writing this blog at the time and got distracted) but the dogs enjoyed it. Strove Tuesday is for everyone! After that, and I gained my attention span back, my pancake flipping skills became great! They tend to come out a little wrinkly because I’m not great at pancake flipping, but I count the fact that they’re in one piece and decently round a success. They don’t look like five-star restaurant pancakes, but they are cooked well, and tasty delicious. Especially smothered in maple syrup.

The pictures are terrible because the lighting in my kitchen is awful. The lighting can’t excuse the weird looking pancakes though. I guess I won’t be a professional flapjack flipper, that’s for sure!!



The recipe used for these pancakes can be found here.

Makes 8 pancakes
Ingredients
·         3/4 cup milk
·         2 tablespoons white vinegar
·         1 cup all-purpose flour
·         2 tablespoons white sugar
·         1 teaspoon baking powder
·         1/2 teaspoon baking soda
·         1/2 teaspoon salt
·         Splash of vanilla
·         1 egg
·         2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions
1.     Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
2.     Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Add in vanilla. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
3.     Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment